Friday, July 31, 2009

Compelling

Since the digital switch of TV I haven't watched a lot of it. I hardly watch the news and only get tidbits here and there. Almost everything I hear from others about Obama and his plans has been negative and scary. I'm quite undecided about what my personal actions should be. I know we are obligated to stand for the right and be a member of our community...I just don't know how I fit into that. It was all quite clear when Prop 8 came up, but the prophet hasn't made any requests about this stuff. I'm still thinking on it.
I got this link in an email a week or so ago and found his words and actions quite compelling. A lot to think about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYscnFpEyA

I'm also torn about my teacher's union that is contributing millions of dollars (obligatory union dues) to the push for gay marriage. I spent time investigating the NEA's policy after learning about their devotion and read that yes, they want them to have equal rights with traditional marriages, but it doesn't have to be called 'marriage' per se, civil union would be fine with them...which is kind of what we've been trying to maintain. The part I really don't like is they want to start teaching it in schools, that I don't appreciate. If I withdraw from the union do I have any job security? My ongoing dilemma.

No comments: