Tuesday, November 29, 2011

I'm NOT crazy!

Background:
With all my education, training and experience I've seen a lot of different styles of parenting...and made a few decisions about my own approach. I decided long ago I'm not going to be one of those ultra-hovering-worried about everything-first time moms. Yes Q falls down and gets bumps frequently, but no I don't let him lean over cliffs, etc.

Given that, when I take him to the doctor I expect to be taken seriously. I'm not bringing him in for every sniffle, so don't patronize me. This has not been the case over the last year. I picked a pediatrician, recommended by a few sources here, who has a reputation for being competent and on the ball, seeings how the Cali one totally missed the boat on his muscle delays. Every time I've gone to her (outside of well child checks) or even asked questions about my concerns she's responded with a smile and sweet voice basically making me feel crazy. As you can guess this has made me a little leery of taking Q in with any further concerns, even though his newborn doctors said not to hesitate because of his susceptibility to problems with his kidneys. When I call for an appointment and get a different dr I never refuse.

Present:
As I've mentioned previously Q has been sick with a yucky nose cold. The Friday before Thanksgiving I took him in because he had green coming out of his nose and I didn't want to get all the cousins, aunts, uncles and grandparents sick over the holiday. It had been a week so I was outside the "too early to treat" time frame. The nice PA gave us some antibiotics for sinusitis which we had to wait an agonizing hour for in RiteAide, but the green went immediately away. (thank you so much for not blowing me off!) We went to Ferndale thinking all was on the mend. He promptly started coughing and the runny nose didn't stop. We plugged along hoping, but after a week I was getting worried again. This weekend he sounded like he was breathing underwater and I was asking him to cough for Momma several times a day.

I took him to his regular doctor yesterday kinda gritting my teeth. I told her every detail of the last two weeks, she checked him out and had her student share her opinion before her own. For the first time I was validated! They couldn't tell whether he's got walking pneumonia or his nose is draining into his chest, but to kill both options they are putting him on prednisone for a week to try to clear everything up. I really hope it works, it's agonizing to listen to him breathe.

Of course I never want to be right that there's something wrong with my boy, but when I know that there's something wrong I want something done about it! This time I wasn't crazy, there is something wrong and needs treatment. She gave me permission to go to public stuff so I'm really hoping he didn't get any family sick last week!

No comments: