Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Crazy Day never posted back in 2012

Last week Q, E and I were finishing up an appointment at the osteopath in Seattle when I started seeing 'snow.' Not real snow, but the 'no signal on the tv' type of snow. It was pretty distracting when I was trying to write a check for the appointment and have a discussion with the receptionist. I sat down on the couch and let Q play for a while as I waited to see if it would go away. As I sat there I discovered that it wasn't actually black and white static but ripples of color in my field of vision. It was on the right side in both eyes, in the exact same pattern! That told me that it wasn't on or in my eyes themselves but in my brain! This was going to be pretty annoying if it was here to stay.

I decided that I could drive home because I could see around it. About that time I started getting a headache. As I got the kids in the car I called one of my doctors to inquire if this might be a side effect of the new medication I was on. About this time my eyes cleared and were fine. The nurse was quite alarmed, told me to get off the road and then determined that I needed to go straight to the walk-in clinic. I was quite unhappy with this as I had both of my children with me and this was the FIRST time I had ventured out with both of them on my own. I didn't want to add another stop (long one, and in my opinion unnecessary) to our morning. She talked me into it anyway, but I still called Ian to see if he had an opinion. Unbeknownst to me, my symptoms got immediate attention and I didn't have to wait to see someone. Due to the fact that I have a blood clotting condition, currently being treated by blood thinners, the likelihood of something happening in my brain was very likely. Plus I was right, the visual phenomenon was a nerve/brain thing rather than within the eye. The amazingly kind and thorough Dr was great with my tired Q (who insisted on getting his reflexes checked as well as Momma's). He explained to me that I was going to get an MRI that day to see what was going on.

Great! I'm thinking. I have a 2 year old and a newborn an hour away from home with no one to come take care of them. Luckily the MRI got scheduled 3 hours out so I had time to rush home and find a sitter.

Funny thing.  Actually getting to lay down was such a relief when I went in for the test I just sat there enjoying the rest.

No comments: