Thursday, February 9, 2012

So there's good news, and there's bad news.

The good news is we've picked a first name for our little girl. This in fact makes her seem more real. I think she's been waiting quite a while for us to commit, poor thing. Back in the fall I was skimming through the new LDS Relief Society book and saw the name Emmeline (4th RS Pres) and it totally hit me. I mean, it hit me. I took note, but I wasn't really sold on it. I do like uncommon names because I don't want my kid to be the 3rd Sarah in their class at school or anything like that. Later my sister told me how we actually have an Emeline in our family history, which is cool, too. It really is a beautiful old name.

I've looked through hundreds and hundreds of names. Then I write the name Emmeline down and it hits me again. I think this girl wants her name to be Emmeline. Ian likes it, too, so we're pretty happy with it. We're down to two middle names so we'll let you know when that is decided on. So, we're now looking forward to welcoming our little Emmeline into the world!

They think she's already past 8lbs! Geesh! Women with my condition usually have small babies because of the placenta problems, instead my womb likes to have diabetes big babies. Something to be grateful for, I guess.

Not so good news...

I had my last ultrasound yesterday and it clearly indicated polyhydramnios again,
Refresher: this means there is too much amniotic fluid around the baby, 29 cm. I think the number is supposed to be in the teens. This usually indicates the baby isn't swallowing as much fluid as they ought to be.

There are three indicators for concern, and luckily I only have one of the three, the number, so they weren't even going to be concerned until I told them about what happened with Quintin; muscle strain-caused tongue tie, muscle spasm and delays. Now the whole thing is on their radar and they plan to check little Emmeline out head to toe when she makes her debut.

I KNOW that she will be fine and we'll get her the therapy she needs if she needs it, but I'm heartbroken that she's likely to have the same problems breastfeeding as Q did. I mean, I've come to terms that I have to give myself shots every day even after she's born. I've come to terms with the fact that I'll never birth one of my babies naturally. My last ditch yearning was to be able to feed her the way God intended. Yes, I did pump for Q until he was 9 months old, but the prospect of doing that full time with a baby and 2 year old does not seem likely. So, I'm delighted she'll be here soon and sad at the possible loss of our bonding opportunity. I hope to have Ian and his dad give us a blessing this weekend to see if a miracle can occur to heal her the last few weeks. I'd LOVE my fears to be proven wrong.

5 comments:

deargoodness said...

I love the name Emmeline, very cute. I can't wait to see you all at the blessing! We're keeping you in our prayers, hope everything goes well!

Me and My Boys said...

That is such a beautiful name! You guys are in our prayers. Can't believe it's time for her debut already!

Jess said...

What a pretty name!! You're in my prayers Bonnie--- and before you think you're getting the short end of the stick on the bonding, I want to tell you that I read a LOT on that subject, since we adopted and would bottle feed, and a book that I just LOVED on that was "Bright from the Start"- it's usually at the library or super cheap on Amazon. It did wonders for me. Love and hugs from me to you!

Paige said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the name! Great choice.
Best of luck with all of the concerns. I feel like we're in the same boat to some extent when I say, just try to enjoy the end of the pregnancy and take the issues when they come. I know, easier said than done.

KPackard said...

Congratulations on your baby! And I love the name Emmeline! Perfect choice.