Friday, December 30, 2011

AR-15

A while back Ian was talking about how the other men in the Elders Quorum Presidency are so into guns. I shared with him how I'd never used anything other than a pellet or paint ball gun and how I was interested: having no experience with them and not even knowing how to get it. Some friends down in Cali were totally into shooting and I had thought about asking then, but never did. Ian on the other hand had grown up a boy scout and had male roommates in college, so he'd had the opportunity on many a time.

He shared this with the presidency so Jim Woolbert took us out today to experience his love and experience with firearms. It was pretty cool. He started me off with a 22 which was a nice intro to the noise and kick, but after a few shots through my blind eyes at a target I could hardly see; I was ready to move up. I do think it's cool that the bullet can go for a mile!

Next he showed me how to use a 9mm pistol. His dad had me kinda freaked out about shooting too many bullets up in the air so I got a little nervous with this one. Plus I couldn't brace this one against my shoulder. Being an ABSOLUTE novice in the freezing cold wind I found it humorous that I was trying to hold it so I wouldn't get harmed by the kick back, aiming at a blurry target and afraid to pull the trigger too hard so I wouldn't shoot too many bullets like his dad said I might. The rest was pretty cool. I now know what it's like to shoot the weapons I see on TV all the time. I know what it feels like, sounds like and smells like! Jim demonstrated the semi-automatic aspect of the pistol so I could see the difference. I'm a really tangible learner, so this was great.
BUT, next he pulled out his recently assembled AR-15 which I learned is the civilian version of the most commonly used military M-16. Out came the earplugs. Q (refusing ear protection) and I hung out in the truck while I observed Jim & Ian shoot a couple into the tree. Then it was my turn. I have to say it was pretty cool. The scope was much easier to see the target even though the earmuffs made it difficult to look through it. This baby put out a lot of smoke and quite a bang. I was humorously remembering the girl in I-Robot who shot the automatic with her eyes shut - 'cause there was nothing I could do to keep my eyes open after that loud bang!

It was great and I'm grateful for the experience. Can you see the glee on Ian's face? Do you think he's glad he took the day off for this?
I learned the difference between single shot, 3 bullet bursts, semi-automatic and automatic weapons. 'Bout time! I've been living with a video game junkie for all these years and didn't know! He also told us all about the functioning parts of each gun and M-223 bullets he used. I learned a lot. I also learned why these weapons would and could fire underwater.

Even Q got to check it out, right before he hit his non-nap limit and fell asleep crying on my shoulder in the cold wind.

No comments: