Sunday, September 13, 2009

Took the plunge

For years I've had a thing against those books "What to expect ..." because I've known too many new moms who freaked out because their kid didn't hit the milestone the book said happened that month, and so I never got the pregnancy one. All my education and experience has shown me that every person develops differently from the womb to the tomb.
This week I asked a friend at work "Headaches are a part of pregnancy, right?" since I vaguely remember reading that in one of my update emails and had had two in the last week. I wanted to assure myself it wasn't because of the stress of my job. She got all bubbly about the book What to Expect When Your Expecting. She told me how she and even her husband were into it each new month when she was having kids. He'd read it and say "Oh look! You're going to be moody this month!" or something like that.
I decided that since I'm now in undiscovered territory, for Ian and I, that I might as well get it. I found it this weekend and Ian and I have had fun starting the plunge into it's many pages. I found out something cool yesterday. The old wives tale that the more heartburn you have the more hair your baby will have is TRUE! Since I LOVE hair on babies I say, bring it on! My hearburn occurences have reappeared with a flourish this week! Perfect timing and now I won't resent it!
Ian was getting a kick out of the dad's section. "Does it seem like you're wife has suddenly been taken over by aliens? You're right! Only it's just pregnancy!"

My only frustration with that is any time I get upset about something I can see it in his attitude that he thinks it's just because I'm pregnant, like I'm not really serious about it!

4 comments:

Paige said...

Yeah, I hated that "it's just because she's pregnant" attitude too. I didn't read that book, because I heard that it would just make everything scary. I liked "The Pregnancy Book" by dr. Sears, and referred to it through both pregnancies.

Diana said...

I wish I had something to show for all the heartburn that I had. I ate Tums like candy and had bald babies.

Aida said...

I've never heard of that- heartburn=more hair on a baby. Interesting...

Bridget said...

I believe the hormones that come with heartburn are the same ones that stimulate hair growth. I had heartburn once and had one child with hair. The others were bald for a while. Like 18 months.

Sorry Diana. Maybe your body laughs in the face of the heartburn/hair growth stimulator hormone.